Port Elizabeth: Whale, Dolphin and Penguin Boat Cruise1 Reviews
Embark on an unforgettable tour around Port Elizabeth Harbor and marvel at the wonders of nature as you spot whales, dolphins and penguins. On a catamaran, sail around the waters of St. Croix Island and Brenton Island on your search for marine wildlife.
- Admire St. Croix Island, home to 22,000 breeding pairs of African penguins
- Watch Indo-pacific bottlenose dolphins swim alongside the waves of the boat
- Marvel at the magnificent whales that migrate to and from the bay
DescriptionThe tour departs from Algoa Bay Yacht Club at Port Elizabeth Harbor in the early morning. Board the catamaran with your guide, and then set sail onto the waters where the adventure begins. As you sail around the coastline, watch out for the vast array of marine life that lives here, as you learn about their mating and migration patterns. The best time for whale spotting begins in June when humpback whales move along the coast as they head up the east coast of Africa towards their breeding grounds. Humpback whales can be spotted in Algoa Bay between June and early January, reaching peaks in July/August, and then again in November/December when they make their return journey with newborn calves in tow. Southern right whales are also usually seen very close inshore nearby to the harbor during July to October as they enter the safety of the bay to give birth. These whales are the most frequently observed whales along the South African coast. Indo-pacific bottlenose dolphins also call the bay their home and can be spotted all year round in groups from 10 to 400. These playful dolphins are mostly found in shallow waters either near the beaches or around St. Croix Island, and tend to come right up to the boat and ride along in the bow waves. Common dolphins are also a spectacular sight as they are seen in groups of 1000-2000, swimming along at great speeds. There’s also the chance to see humpback dolphins in Algoa Bay, which usually occur in much smaller groups, anywhere between 1 and 20, and are most commonly seen during the summer months. On the tour, the boat will also sail around St. Croix Island, home to over 20,000 breeding pairs of African penguins, the largest breeding colony found in Africa. Enjoy a close-up encounter with these comical birds and learn about their breeding habits on the island. As well as African penguins, both St. Croix and Brenton Island are inhabited by the endangered African black oystercatcher, white-breasted cormorants and Cape cormorants.
IncludesLight snacks and refreshments Hotel pickup and drop-off Gratuities
- No guarantee on animal sightings is given on any cruise. Guests have the opportunity to view wild animals which will move around at their own will and therefore we cannot be held responsible for the movements of these animals. Guests who are taken to St Croix are guaranteed to see African penguins, and therefore no refund will be given if other marine animals are not spotted
- Guests are more than welcome to bring their own snacks and refreshments
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCHECK AVAILABILITY